Thursday 14 June 2012

The Lily Family

1

2

3

4

5

The fourth photo is that of the football lily and the the fifth one is the plant of the football lily. The wilting and drooping flower can be seen near the stem of the plant.The plant sprouts up from underground soon after the first rain towards the end of summer. The flower wilts after its life is over. After the rainy season, the plant disappears into the ground. The flower emerges soon after the first rain in May. Perhaps that is why it is called Bhuin Padma (literally Lotus on Land) in Odia. It is followed by the appearance of the plant and the cycle goes on.

I have another plant of the lily family. It is of deep pink colour and is of small size. It blooms during rainy season. Here it is:

.

There is yet another member of the lily family in my garden:

9 comments:

  1. I loved the yellow one! Gorgeous! I guess my father is also going to enjoy full time gardening if at all in a few years. If at all he decided to retire from his profession! :D

    Do you have nimbu plant? We tried hard but the sandy soil of Ahmedabad and the heat-no water days could not cultivate the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full time gardening is fun :))))

      For the last 2 years I have been trying to have a nimbu plant. I love to have nimbu with lunch daily. My first two nimbu plants died during the rainy season due to excess water. I have now planted two more saplings, one on a higher spot and another in a big pot. Both are thriving. I hope I shall succeed this time.

      Delete
  2. We have the 3rd lily in one of our gallery pots. Bramhakamal (blooms in rainy season for one night) is one of the favourites in our family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have planted Brahmakamal in a pot and have been waiting for one year for it to bloom. I have seen photos of this flower blooming in a pot at a friend's home.I hope my waiting will be rewarded someday.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sudeepji. My wish has been granted! My Brahmakamal was just waiting for your comment; just now I noticed that 5 small buds have appeared on the plant!!! These were not there in the morning. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing the bloom.:))))))))))))))))

      Delete
    3. Dear Sudeep,
      I viewed the photos of Brahmakamal mailed by you to Sayesha. The flowers are really beautiful.

      The buds in my garden are growing slowly.

      Delete
  3. Great, well I do know a bit of magic he he.
    That must be a super-coincidence because I just now got off the phone at home & we also have 5 buds which were to bloom tonight. I have asked my family to take some pictures, I will forward them to Daughter II so that you can have a look as well. Do share your flower photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do mail the photos.

      Delete
    2. I viewed the photos mailed by you.

      And here is Great News! My Brhmakamal blossomed last evening. I have taken a series of photos recording the different stages of the bloom.

      However out of the 4 buds which appeared, only one bloomed. Hope I shall get more the next time.

      Delete