Monday 27 August 2012

Odissi Dance From A Wheelchair

In my post 'Dancing Without A Leg', I narrated how the well-known danseur Guru Nityanda Das, even after losing a leg in an accident, continues to dance and teach Odissi dance with one leg. I had also narrated how the famous danseuse Sudha Chandran of Nache Mayuri fame, after losing a leg, continues dancing with an artificial leg. Here is another wonder.

While surfing for Odissi dance, I came across an incredible and wonderful Odissi dance presentation by the late Ankita Panda - from a wheelchair!!! I also found another wonder, a piece titled 'My Dream Comes True' by her. Ankita was born with a spinal disorder and so was unable to walk but she had a dream - a dream to perform a dance on stage.Read all about her dream and how she realised her dream, by clicking on the link. Here are two videos, a presentation by her on the 28th Dec. 2008 in the National Children's Festival and another at the Gurudakshina Utsav.

6 comments:

  1. Speechless!!! Dreams and passion! Much more important than life and resources!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ankita has fulfilled her dream and has shown that one can, with determination, get over any hurdle.

      Delete
  2. I have just one word for her.. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hats off to Ankita!!!

      Nice to hear from you after so long. Thank you for following my blog.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ankita's determination is really awesome.

      I have been missing your blog-posts.

      Delete